EXPLOSION OR THREAT OF EXPLOSION
In the event of an explosion at the College, or threat of an explosion – such as those caused by leaking gas, a faulty broiler or bomb within a campus/site building – the following will be accomplished:
- Command “DOWN” is given.*
- If the explosion occurs within the building, or threatens the building, the instructor should immediately implement action Evacuate Building.
- Sound the fire alarm and/or shout alarm.
- Move to an area of safety and maintain control.
- Render first aid as necessary.
- Notify the Chancellor’s Office. The Chancellor’s Office will notify Security and other agencies as needed.
- Fight incipient fires without endangering life.
- The Chancellor or authorized representative will direct further action as required.
- Faculty, staff, and students should not return to the building until a Fire Department official declare the area safe.
Threat of Explosion
- Sound the building fire alarm. This will automatically implement action Evacuate Building.
- Follow procedures d. and f. under “Explosion” above.
* Faculty should instruct students to react in the same manner on their own to this type of catastrophe in case it occurs when the faculty is not present.