HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ACCIDENT
Hazardous material accidents of disaster magnitude would include tank truck accidents, run away experiments, major spills or release of radioactive material, or storage accidents involving large quantities of toxic substances (eg., dust, fumes, mists, etc.). Should such an accident endanger faculty, staff, and students, the following procedures will be followed:
- Immediately inform the Chancellor’s Office of the incident. Where necessary faculty and staff will take immediate action for safety of students without waiting for direction from College officials.
- The Chancellor will evaluate the situation and determine the need to evacuate the building/campus. If a decision is made to evacuate the building/campus, building/campus evacuation procedure will be followed.
- Faculty, staff, and students should crosswind – never up or downwind – to avoid fumes, gases, or other aerosols.
- The Chancellor’s Office will notify appropriate City and State agencies such as the Fire Department and seek medical assistance as may be required.
- The Chancellor will direct further action as required.