Warning: Radio announcements, civil defense sirens, television, and newspapersThe U.S. Weather Bureau can usually forecast severe windstorms with a high degree of accuracy. If time and conditions permit, Suspend Classes action should be implemented prior to an emergency. However, if high winds develop during school hours with little or no warning, the following emergency actions will be accomplished:
- Implement Take Cover action.
- Faculty, staff, and students should be assembled inside shelters or best available buildings.
- Close windows and blinds.
- Remain near an inside wall or lie on the floors if possible.
- Avoid auditoriums, gymnasiums, and other structures with large roof spans.
- Evacuate rooms bearing full force of wind.
- Keep tuned to a local radio station for latest advisory information.
- The Chancellor will direct further actions as required.