Response to Power Outage
If there is a planed power outage:
- Prepare or review existing internal communications plan to notify affected personnel about workday and after-hours emergencies.
- Identify and prioritize vital power-dependent functions, operations, and equipment. Plan ahead for short-term and longer-term impacts and needs.
- Keep duplicates of critical data.
- Determine if there is emergency lighting in your area. Keep flashlights in all work areas.
- Develop strategies for resuming operations when power returns.
If a short-term power outage occurs:
- Assess the extent of the outage in your area. Report outages to your Building Chairperson and/or Auxiliary Services at x9157. If after hours contact campus Security at x9900.
- The Chancellor may make the decision to evacuate individual buildings. If you are told to leave the building, lock or secure your area, collect your personal belongings and leave. Reenter the building only when directed to do so by the Chancellor or the KCC Security.
If a prolonged power outage occurs:
- Check elevators for trapped occupants. If individuals are trapped contact the University Police at x9900 from any hard-wired campus phone or 734-9900 from a cell phone to request assistance.
- Move building occupants in darkened work areas to safe locations. Keep refrigerators and freezers closed throughout the outage.
- Unplug personal computers.
- Unplug non-essential electrical equipment and appliances.
- Open windows for additional light and ventilation, if appropriate.
- Campus administration will make the decision to cancel classes as necessary.
- Do not use campus phones as they are on a battery back-up system and should be used only by essential personnel to communicate plan implementation.