Summer Bridge Program
About Summer Bridge at Kapiolani Community College (KCC)
Summer Bridge is a program that assists college freshman that are entering college for the first time. The four-week course combines college orientation, study skills instruction, English and math review, and Hawaiian culture studies.
Participants in Summer Bridge have the opportunity to interact with other students, as well as caring and experienced KCC faculty and staff. Summer Bridge participants are also eligible to retake the KCC Compass placement tests and gain confidence about starting college in the Fall.
Why attend Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge is challenging, rewarding and fun! Students who attend the program are better prepared to meet the academic and social demands of their first year at KCC.Summer Bridge helps students:
- Improve their reading, writing and math skills;
- Learn how to become successful college students;
- Build a support network with students, faculty, advisors and staff;
- Become familiar with campus layout, libraries and computer labs;
- Receive academic advising and assistance with registration.
- Get an opportunity to retake the KCC Compass placement tests and improve their scores;
- Receive three college credits upon completion of the Summer Bridge.
Who should participate in Summer Bridge?
Students who are entering college for the first time and who test into math and English courses below the 100-level are eligible to apply. Enrollment is limited to 25 students and priority is given to native Hawaiian students.
What is the cost of Summer Bridge?
The Summer Bridge Program is free to all who are accepted into the program, but students should plan on $3-$5 for lunch if they plan to buy lunch on campus.
How do I apply for Summer Bridge?
To apply, complete the Summer Bridge application form. Only 25 students will be accepted into the program. Contact us for the application form.